Monday 31 March 2014

ADORABLE LITTLE SUBJECTS

A while back, a friend asked me what my favorite photography subject was and without giving it much thought, I said people. Actually, my exact response was that “I love editorial and commercial photography which most often than not involves photographing people.” “What kind, adults or children?” she probed further. “I prefer adults,” I said. “They are predictable and consequently, less troublesome to work with.”
“Inaonekana hupendi watoto,” –“it seems you do not like kids,” she declared and what followed was a lengthy ‘sermon’ of how I should learn to love those “adorable little subjects.” For the record, I do not hate photographing kids. On the contrary, I find it very interesting since unlike adults who are always self-conscious in their character; kids are very genuine –like leather. They truly do not know how to pretend; what you see is what you get.

Very unpredictable
Having said that children especially the small ones; full of curiosity and possessing very slim concentration spans can be very unpredictable and fiddly during photo sessions and will really push a photographer’s patience to the limit. Some will decide they do not like you or your camera and will try to hide or even worse… scream their little heads off! Others will be too friendly and will even want to play with your pricey camera thinking that it is a toy –well, to be fair it is but not for kids! 
Personally, I dread coming across a little fellow who does not know what it means to follow instructions –not even from the parents, since I know my chances of getting a decent image of the kid are as good as gone. Overall, I find taking pictures of children fascinatingly challenging and my little (pun intended) experience over the years has taught me to approach such assignments with an open mind. Besides, they are “adorable little subjects,” right?  

After keenly observing me taking pictures during his friend's birthday, my 
little friend here decided  it was his turn to ‘peep’ through the lens, never 
mind from which side.

Camera - CANON EOS 550D
Focal Length - 20 mm  
Shutter Speed - 1/32 sec  

Aperture - f/3.5 
ISO/Film - 640  
Category - Birthday  
Uploaded - March 31st 2014   

Taken - September 3rd 2011
Location - Sarova Panafric Hotel Nairobi 
Copyright - Stephen Mukhongi/Talkback Studios
    



No comments:

Post a Comment