Wednesday 3 April 2013

PHOTOJOURNALISM

Sitting in one of my photography classes, I remember being introduced to the idea of photojournalism. Since then I really wished to fully understand and experience what it was all about. After doing a number of photo stories as part of my class-work, I became more eager to practice photojournalism firsthand, and especially outside the classroom setting in order to know what it entails in relation to conventional type of photography. My wish came to pass one morning when I received a text message from my good friend Carlos Mureithi "congrats bro.. your photos are in the newspaper!" The said pictures where for a story he did on a matatu tout who never shouts. I was elated to say the least, not only because it was my first ever national publication, but also for the reason that now I had an idea of what photojournalism was all about; creating images to tell real news stories.


Matatu tout Benard Kiogothi during work. Mr Kiogothi, despite being deaf, has been working as a tout for 11 years.



Camera - NIKON COOL-PIX S225
Focal Length - 9.3mm
Shutter Speed - 1/50 sec
Aperture - f/3.9 
ISO/Film -1367
Category - Editorial
Uploaded - April 3rd 2013  
Taken -
August 29th 2012
Location - CBD Nairobi, Kenya
Copyright - Stephen Mukhongi /Nation


4 comments:

  1. And do not stop there...keep pushing the envelope further and explore the potential in you :-)So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will Beatrice.. Asante sana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thumbs up! Glad your day 1 in actual photojournalism i.e after the theory part got displayed nationally. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete